Friday, January 20, 2012

Healthy Broccoli Salad (GF, Vegetarian, Low-Calorie, Low-Fat, Low-Carb)

Words cannot describe how amazing this is..... and I left out the Mayo!
Thank you Mayo for so easily leaving this recipe!
Complexity Level:  Easy
Healthy Broccoli Salad (Mayo-Free!)
What You Need:
1 Large Broccoli Crown, chopped (about 3 1/2 cups raw broccoli chopped)
1 cup Chopped or Shredded Carrots
3/4 cup Raisins
1/4 cup Sugar Substitute or 1/3 cup Sugar
1/2 Yellow Onion, finely chopped
1 cup Fat Free Plain Yogurt (use Greek for more Protein!)
1/2 tsp Salt
1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
1/4 tsp Black Pepper

In a large bowl, whisk the sugar substitute (or sugar), salt, pepper, and garlic powder until combined.

Place the diced broccoli, carrots, raisins, and onion into the bowl, and mix to coat evenly.  This can be eaten right away, or made ahead of time and left to chill.


While thinking about this salad (and enjoying a giant bowl of it) I pondered about variations I could make.  Craisins added would be awesome, so would shredded cheddar cheese and even bacon (if your into meat).

But as I thought of these, I couldn't help but also think how delicious and simple this salad was to make.  And in using yogurt, fat free yogurt to bet, an entire cup of mayo was cut out.  I can't even imagine those pounds it would have added!

I hope you enjoy this too!

10 comments:

  1. This looks so good and healthy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm definitely digging on this! I'm not much of a mayo fan anyway =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys! I've been substitutting Yogurt for Mayo for so many things, and this one worked PERFECTLY! In fact, I think I need to have some right now ;) Thankfully I brought some to work!! Enjoy ;) And thanks for stopping by -- I LOVE to get comments, they brighten my day ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great recipe and so healthy! I also love to substitute yogurt (especially Greek) for mayo in a lot of my recipes- I love the tanginess.

    ReplyDelete
  5. THanks Soanil!

    I too have ben using yogurt, and can't wait to post some more mayo-less classics that I think too often we miss out on the healthier alternative! I made yogurt rance the other day -- YUM!

    I think Greek Yogurt is awesome in most substitutions, being a tangy lover myself, but have found that even using plain old fat free yogurt is both tasty, and cheaper for those on a budget! Thanks so much for the comment, and for stopping by!

    Happy Eating ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just made this! Loved it and so did my husband!! I added walnuts and peppers too:)
    Any idea of the calorie count for 1 portion?
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Erin! Thanks for sharing your AWESOME modifications on this one. YUM! Pepeprs would barely add 1 extra calorie per serviong. With the Walnuts, say you added 1/2 cup... thats close to 393 calories, divided by the servings so 392/18 = 22 calories extra a serving, and this recipe total has 645 without the peppers and onions... I'm calculating close to 60 calories a serving. NOT TOO BAD huh! Gosh this is soooo good, I want it again now lol!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. is 1 cup a serving size?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Did you have a different recipe on here before? I saved this on Pinterest because I liked the recipe and this it not the same one. It may have been a few years ago.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for Sharing your Thoughts and for visiting Bargain Bites today!

Cool List

Listed on: Website submission