Sunday, February 26, 2012

Pasta di Caprese

Caprese turned into a Healthy Whole Wheat Pasta Salad?
Now that's something to buzz about!
Complexity Level:  Easy
Servings: 8-10
Pasta di Caprese
What You Need:
1 lb. Whole Grain/ Wheat Pasta (I used radiatore)
1 1/2 cups Buffalo Mozzarella Pearls
5 Roma Tomatoes, finely diced
10 Basil Leaves, chopped
3/4 cup Balsamic Vinegar
1 tbsp Olive Oil
1 tsp Garlic Powder
1 tsp Salt
1/2 tsp Black Pepper

This is a very simple but super delicious pasta salad.  I had recently created this while craving caprese, and brought it to a wine and social event.  Before I knew it, it was gone!  I didn't realize I had forgotten to beat the rush and get a bowl -- but it's ok ... I had left some at home just in case!

To start, boil your pasta to a nice al denti then rinse with cool water and let drain.

Meanwhile, chopped the basil and dice the tomatoes, and place into a large mixing bowl.  Add the pearls of mozzarella to the mixing bowl, and toss to blend.

Right Before adding Tomatoes!
In a small bowl, whisk the olive oil with the salt, pepper, garlic powder, and balsamic vinegar.  Pour the cooled pasta into the large mixing bowl and toss in the balsamic mixture.  Toss to coat the pasta with the balsamic dressing, and to mix the ingredients together.

If you prefer, you can add more olive oil.  I like to keep the salad light and low fat, but olive oil is a good fat, so go crazy as you wish!

Chill 1 hour before serving.  This will allow the basil to penetrate all the noodles, and the pasta to absorb that tasty balsamic flavor. You may want to do a taste check to see if more vinegar is needed.  But for me and my newly found friends, this was perfect just the way it was!

Be sure to toss again before serving to make sure everything is still evenly coated!
I hope you enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. I can see why this would go so fast, it sounds delicious! I love your use of radiatore too to help catch all that yummy flavor!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kait -- Thanks so much! That Radiatore really sucked up and held onto the balsamic.... I couldn't help but refil my bowl a few times! Guilty ;)! Thanks for stopping by and leaving a note!

      Delete
  2. I could eat tomatoes, basil, and mozzarella every day and never get sick of it! This pasta has all of the best flavors, plus balsamic.... yum!! And I love that you used whole wheat pasta, yummy meal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kristina! I will be honest, in all my life I have never found a love for food as I have caprese! Buffalo Mozzarella, Big Red Tomatoes, Fresh Basil, a Rich and Sweet Balsamic, A fine Olive Oil..... OMG OMG OMG!! I just had to try to make a pasta salad outta it.... and with great success, I find myself wishing I hadn't shared with frieds, as they ate it all! hahaha ;)

      Delete

Thanks for Sharing your Thoughts and for visiting Bargain Bites today!

Cool List

Listed on: Website submission